You have no items in your shopping cart.
Identifying Real 925 Sterling Silver Jewelry
Sunday, January 25, 2015 4:02:00 PM Asia/Singapore
Are you thinking of buying a 925 Sterling Silver Jewelry? Before you do, it’s most likely that you want to know the difference between 925 sterling silver and pure silver. When we say ‘Pure silver,' it doesn’t mean that it is 100% silver; it is made of 99.9% silver, while the other 00.1% comprises of copper and other metals. While Sterling Silver contains 92.5% silver while the remaining content is basically copper. Now it is evident how the name ‘925’ came about.
The common practice of combining silver with other metals is because of the difficulty in making good designs with silver. Silver is very soft in nature and needs to be hardened a bit by mixing it with metals like copper. When it gets hardened, it becomes easier for jewelers to design great jewelry, just like the 925 sterling silver.
925 sterling silver jewelry are not cheap. It is such an investment you have to be financially ready to make; whether sterling silver necklace or a pendant. But the investment is certainly worth it because its value continuously appreciates. One important thing you should know is that there are a lot of fakes out there and you don’t want to be sold a fake 925 sterling silver jewelry.
In recent times, the increase of jewelers that markets fake sterling silver rings, pendants, earrings, necklaces, etc. calls for great concern. Silver coated jewelry have flooded the markets and the jewelers claim they are real sterling silver jewelry; duping unsuspecting buyers. Such jewelry starts deteriorating in a very short time. This is why it is critical to know the qualities of a real 925 sterling silver, and you should be able to differentiate them from the imitation.
From the tips outlined here, you will be safer when buying sterling silver jewelry
Five Tips to Know a Real Sterling Silver Jewelry
Tip #1 Perform a Nitric Acid Test
Discoloration is noticed when nitric acid is dropped on fake non-silver jewelry. Before you buy the jewelry, always confirm from the vendor if you can perform this test. Since this test will not affect a real 925 sterling silver, the seller will oblige you the test if he knows his sterling silver is genuine. It is very import that you use gloves and goggles during this test.
If the jewelry is authentic, the part where the acid touches will become creamy, but if fake, it will turn greenish.
Tip #2: Do a Magnet Test
This is quite a simple one. Silver do not attract magnets, so if there is an attraction, then it is obvious that it is fake and not silver.
Tip #3: Smell test
Check if the jewelry has a smell; if it does, it is a pointer to the high copper content in it. Genuine sterling silver doesn’t smell.
Tip #4: Lookout for the markings
Authentic silver jewelry comes with hidden markings like "925", “Sterling Silver" or "Ster." Search for these marking, but if you can’t find any, then think twice.
Tip #5: Black Stains
Gently rub the surface with a soft white material. Observe the cloth carefully for black stains, if found, then be confident you are buying a real sterling silver. When sterling silver is exposed to air, it oxidizes, and this causes deterioration over time. This is what causes the black stains on the white piece of cloth
To be sure of the authenticity of what you are buying, getting your sterling silver jewelry from a reputable store is your best bet. 925silvers.net has been known over the years for quality and excellent customer service; our customer reviews speaks volume of our products and services. We sell real, quality, and beautifully designed 925 Sterling Silver Jewelry. To place your order or for inquiries visit us at 925silvers.net